Monday, January 2, 2012

A Winter Squash Super Star of 2011

 
Waltham Butternut Squash, Redventure Celery
Rio Zape Shell Beans

In 2011, I trailed five winter squash I hadn't grown before and Waltham Butternut was the only one that was sweet and flavorful. Waltham was as tasty as my 2010 favorites - Greek Sweet Red and Sweet Kikuza.

Waltham were not large squash - they averaged 2 to 3 lbs with 2 to 3 fruit per plant. I planted the seeds in July and this variety was hardy enough to tolerate the intense summer sun.

Kiawe (mesquite) grows in the fields around my neighborhood and I pick up the small dried branches and use them on my grill. I grilled sliced Waltham Butternut with kiawe chips and made this very tasty soup:
Wood Grilled Butternut Squash Puree

I also grilled sliced Waltham Butternut when grilling cedar planked salmon and the cedar added a delicious flavor too.