Wednesday, April 12, 2023

A Classic Roast Duck with Fennel Pollen

 This is an easy preparation for duck or chicken
to make at any time of the year.


A typical duck weighs around 5lbs and feeds 3 to 4 people.


Fennel pollen adds a delicious but subtle flavor to poultry
and it won't taste noticeably like fennel.


I plant fennel in my fall/winter garden and leave at least two plants
to flower and produce pollen and seeds during the summer.

Since I only have fennel pollen during the summer,
I also purchase dried fennel pollen on Amazon.

 
After many failed attempts, I finally figured out how to grow garlic.


This is an easy plant to grow in Kihei. My container grown rosemary
plant usually last two years before it out grows the container.

I rub the duck with:
Any olive oil is fine but lemon olive oil is so ono.
Then, season with salt, pepper and fennel pollen.

Mary's Ducks, from Whole Foods, are my favorite. They're available at
Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sometimes they have them at other
times during the year. I usually keep an extra duck in my freezer.
Ingredients

peeled lemons
rosemary sprigs
garlic bulb(s)
fennel pollen
olive oil
a quality salt
white or black pepper
trimmed but unpeeled shallot cloves
salted or unsalted butter for basting