Friday, February 14, 2014

Chocolate for Breakfast

Happy Valentine's Day!
 
 Egyptian & Chioggia Beets
 
 Chocolate Beet Cake

What I love the most about Valentines Day is that it's the one day of the year when it's acceptable to eat chocolate for breakfast.
 
 
This morning I made Nigel Slater's Chocolate Beet Cake in a KitchenAid silicon heart-shaped pan. When I bake this cake I use a sugar substitute - Just Like Sugar. It turned out so much better baked in the silicon pan than a spring-form pan. And, the recipe filled the pan perfectly.
 

I use Egyptian beets when I make Chocolate Beet Cake. I cook and freeze them after they're harvested which makes it really convenient.
 

The beets aren't detectible after the cake is baked.

Chocolate Beet Cake isn't super sweet and crème fraiche pairs nicely. Although it's great with whipped cream and fresh strawberries too.

Homemade crème fraiche is easy to make. Its thicker, creamier and half the price of store bought. All you need is a pint of whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of either yogurt or kefir.

Pour the cream into a glass jar. Mix the yogurt or kefir into the cream. Cover with a coffee filter or paper towel secured by a rubber band. Leave it out on a counter-top for 2 days, or until it's set.

Because the cake isn't sugary sweet it's actually perfect
 for breakfast - especially with an espresso.